The topsail schooner later known as HMS Pickle was originally called Sting and was built in 1799 in Bermuda, where this type of vessel was known as a Bermuda sloop. She was purchased for £2500 (Present equivalent £10,390,000) by Vice-Admiral Lord Hugh Seymour, the commander in chief on the Jamaica Station in 1800.
Pickle was 127 tons, 73' long, 20' beam, gaff-rigged with a square topsail on the foremast. She had a complement of around 40 and was armed with 8 twelve-pounder cannonades.
Although one of the smaller ships of the Navy, Pickle had an illustrious, heroic career. She was involved in many actions some with other vessels and some solo
1996 saw the present recreation of the original Schooner Pickle being built in St Petersburg by a Russian multi-millionaire to help commemorate the 300th anniversary of the founding of the Russian navy by Peter the Great.
She was launched as the schooner Alevtina Tuy along with her sister ship the Elena Maria Barbara. They were eventually bought by Robin James and the Alevtina Tuy was converted into a faithful replica of HM Schooner Pickle for the Trafalgar Bi-centennial celebrations.
She was kept in Wales originally and was used as a Tall Ship, eventually ending up in Gibraltar where unfortunately she suffered from exposure to the sun and heat. She has now owned by Mal Nicholson and has under gone extensive repairs to bring her back to life.
Pickle now lives on the Humber at Hull Marina and regularly visits ports along the North East coast and further afield.